Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hairspray Lingo: The Words You Need to Know

At any given time, we probably have more than 20 different types of hairspray in the salon. Granted, that is different brands and different holds, but that still amounts to 20 different cans that you're looking at saying, "which one?"

It took me a long time to find my perfect hairspray (it's Paul Mitchell Hold Me Tight) but now that I have, I hardly ever buy anything else. It just took a lot of reading labels and trials and errors to get me there.

Luckily for you guys, you've got me. After reading this post you'll (hopefully) be able to know exactly which hairspray you need when you go into the salon.

Hairspray typically comes in three different strengths:

  • Light

You light hold hairsprays are best for looks that don't require much hold, like straight hair or round brushed hair. Sebastian's Shaper Zero Gravity is a brushable lightweight hairspray. 

  • Medium
Medium hairsprays are for your slightly more complicated looks. Loose curls or waves, half ups, pony tails, etc. Aveda's Brilliant is a medium hold.

  • Strong
Strong hairsprays, also known as finishing sprays, are for things that really need that extra hold. Curls, updos, wedding styles. I love a finishing spray to tame my frizzies in an updo. Hold Me Tight is a strong hold finishing spray.

 Other terms:
  • flexible-- typically when a hairspray says flexible it means that after it is sprayed, there is still time to manipulate your hair into the shape you want. 
  • brushable-- brushable means just that, you can brush it

Does that help your indecision? Or do you just want to go buy them all like I do? 

What is your favorite hairspray? Tell me in the comments below!

1 comment:

  1. الرشيد تعد افضل شركة نقل عفش بالكويت نقوم بنقل العفش الى اى مكان فى الكويت اتصل الان

    شركة نقل عفش الكويت
    رقم فني صحي


Thank you!